Saturday, October 5, 2013

Processing Death and Dying...

Sorry, this entry is on the morbid side...I just had to get it off my chest. COULD BE TRIGGERING.

If you know me well enough, you know that I just don't do death. I don't think I'm afraid of it, it's just something that makes me queasy to be around. Insanely uncomfortable. Dan's grandmother passed away about a week ago and I was greatly relieved to hear that she would be cremated and there would be no viewing.

I don't do viewings. I just don't. I stay as far away from them as possible. You see, when I have, in the past, viewed someone dead in a coffin, it erases my picture of that person in my mind. I see them as dead in my memories. You will find me at most funerals, away across the room or hanging out in a totally different room to begin with.

So, I thought that going forward, I'd be ok, that I wouldn't have someone else pictured in my head when I thought back fondly on Iva Jean. Instead, this is not what happened.

Dan's uncle showed me a pic he got of her on his cell phone, just a few days before she had passed. Someone had done her hair very nicely, and that's what he was trying to show me. But that's not what I saw. I saw a dying woman. Gaunt, bony, and probably no more than 80 pounds. My heart and stomach dropped almost instantaneously. I mumbled to my mother in law that I was glad there was no viewing, can't deal with viewings. She said "I know." I'm a little cranky I wasn't really warned how bad she really looked before I said ok to seeing the picture.

I know that people need closure sometimes by being able to see a body. But I'm ok with not.

- - -

Her funeral was this past Thursday. Such a lovely funeral. For a very lovely woman. Rest in peace, Iva Jean....





1 comment:

  1. I agree, that is the image I have of my mom. (Seeing her so sick and then passing away) Makes it very difficult to see any other image..

    ReplyDelete

Be nice...or I will delete it. No trolls! Thank you! :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS