I know this is going to hit my Facebook newsfeed and that's ok. I'm not sure how to say it in a status or in a message to friends and family, but here goes....
Dan and I have been doing a lot of thinking and talking over the last few months about how we want the birth of our first (and possibly only) child to go down. We have come up with a fantastic birth plan that we are both comfortable with and after discussing it with the doula, we all have this plan in mind as we go into this crazy adventure. Some people may think a birth plan is awfully high maintenance...but frankly, we're going to be flexible on it and not psychotic about it, so relax. It just hits some major points in regards to pain meds (I'm not sure how I feel about pain meds, but we want to try going at it without them -- we've asked, for instance, that they not ask me if I want them...That they wait for ME to ask for them). And then the other details such as when we want the cord cut (not until after it has completely stopped pulsing) and that Dan will be cutting it. We are also asking for them to wait to clean up and assess baby girl so that she and I can have skin to skin time immediately afterward.
Stuff like that.
But we also went ahead and wrote a blurb in the bit about "after labor" about visitors. YES, we did.
Look, I have heard plenty of horror stories about people walking into a delivery room right after someone gives birth, because the person is even done being cleaned, or stitched up and totally taking over the baby. Not giving them a little privacy. Or discretion. Or that ever important bonding time.
Believe me, we WANT visitors. But we're going to be asking for 6-12 hours (depending on the time of day the baby is born)...where Dan and I can both rest. Where I can start getting used to that ever important latch on with baby girl. A little time where, after I get a little sleep maybe, I can SHOWER before people show up.
We will be waiting to post on Facebook as to when she arrives. And we'll be asking at that time to wait until we say we're READY for visitors before they are allowed to come. I know, I'm a jerk. :)
The only person who will be allowed around (though I'm not sure I want in the delivery room -- and she knows that, lol), is my mom. :) I think it depends on when she arrives during the whole process. I said to Dan and the doula the other day that I didn't want her in there during pushing, but maybe at the time I will? Who knows. But seriously, she's the only one allowed.
At any rate, we're just trying to do a little bit of crowd control. We know that everyone is eager to meet our little gal, but we also don't want to feel completely overwhelmed by visitors.
We would ESPECIALLY love if people came after we got home -- you know, with food. :) (Don't forget I have an allergy to sunflower oil! And Dan is in the middle of the process for being diagnosed with diabetes so NO super sugary things for him).
Ok, got that off my chest now! Moving along...
Friday, May 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Can I borrow this if/when I have a baby? Because that is so how I feel about a lot of the process, too. Family is awesome but sometimes you need a few beats to just be YOU and your family! So excited for you =)
ReplyDelete