It started off as bad allergies and tumbled quickly into bronchitis. I wanted nothing more than chicken noodle soup, ramen noodles, and pretzels. Don't ask me why those are my go to foods when down and out, they just are. I found a soup with rice noodles in it that was....ok, but it wasn't chicken so it didn't have that same calming effect. And I did end up eating 2 large sourdough pretzels just to calm my stomach after my first dose of antibiotics.
I am up at the lake this week and my biggest concern had been eating while here. My inlaws also love carbs. But I had volunteered to bring up a lot of my own things as substitutes and they have been trying them out and enjoying them, surprisingly. The first night I was here, we broke out the pancake mix I brought and they were pleasantly surprised. Of course, we cooked those the rather unhealthy way....my MIL cooks her pancakes in freaking Crisco -- so basically anything cooked in Crisco is going to taste good, though, right? Ha. At any rate, they said they looked and tasted just like whole wheat pancakes. I'm very happy they were open to eating them. I also made them something with zucchini noodles. I wasn't comfortable eating the noodles raw....not that I wasn't comfortable per se, I just love zucchini cooked, so I sauteed them in a smidge of olive oil.
My biggest challenge is breakfasts and lunches. I love crackers and breads. I decided for this first week to get some gluten free crackers, but have not ventured into trying gluten free sandwich bread at this time. I did bring up buns to try for dinner tonight and tomorrow, so fingers crossed. My inlaws do not have any other buns so I hope they forgive me if they are gross. They are Udi's, however, so I think we will be ok.
Some of the foods I have tried this week....
Zucchini noodles with artichoke/walnut/lemon pesto
Greek salad with cucumber spirals
Bob's Red Mill pancake mix (and smoky links)
Jambalaya
Omission Pale Ale
Here's to another week of gluten free! I hope this coming week, I partake in a little less "accidental" wheat! That's my goal, anyway!





Proud of you
ReplyDelete