Monday, July 28, 2014

What to do with the living room....?

So...I know that we are going to be renovating our basement and master bedroom upstairs starting in January or February. But I am mostly distracted right now by our living room. This is probably because it is the room we are in the most often.  It isn't the largest of rooms, but it serves its purpose.  Right now, it houses a lot of kid toys, which will eventually make its way into the basement rec area. Though, even when that gets done, how often am I really going to let a two year old play down there without me. Ha. Yeah, right. So there will still be toys in this room.

Things I know I want to do: repaint (but not sure what color); buy a small sectional (in grey - to use up corner space that is currently dead); possible add a bench/coat rack by the front door; do something different with the main window treatments; maybe crown molding (which is going to be an issue unless we have the plaster redone or install drywall INSTEAD -- the walls aren't completely flat -- GO PRE-WAR construction!!). 

We have all original hard wood in here (the wood we also tried to re-expose in Avery's room and in the kitchen, lo and behold -- previous owners had RUINED IT. RUINED IT with mastic glue in her room. Yes, someone put in glued tiles. Horrible. We tried to fix it, but it was a disaster. For now, carpet is down. And the kitchen? Layers upon layers of subfloor and vinyl flooring -- there were huge SCREWS in the wood floor)...that I may want to eventually refinish. I can't decide if we should leave this color or go darker. There are areas of the floor that NEED to be redone that we hide right now under the furniture. 

I tried sending idea to my MIL because she is fabulous at this stuff, but she keeps brushing me off to tell me to focus on the basement. Nothing to focus on down there. My husband is taking control of that project and I will want it pretty basic. Egress window, waterproofing, drywall. Probably a pale grey paint. Wait. Ok, I lied. I could totally focus on the laundry room and what I want down there...Hmm...

Anyway....back to the living room. Here are a couple of pictures....

This door leads to the office/dining area. The office will be relocating into the basement. 

That giant Expedit will probably be moving to the basement and a shorter one will take its place.

For the most part, I love this space. It has great light most of the time. And all I know about what I want in here for now? Is this couch. 



Pottery Barn Buchanan Sectional in Performance EverydayVelvet (Platinum)
$1849  and KID PROOF treated fabric
This is a smaller sectional and it is perfect for our small room. PERFECT.


- - -

After the making of this post, I went nuts moving things around the living room. Took an Expedit form another room that really wasn't being used. This actually created a larger area for Avery to play in. 


Anyway, regardless of what my MIL says, I am making some changes in details in this living room. It's going to be awhile until the rest of the house is done and I need a project right now....







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice...or I will delete it. No trolls! Thank you! :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS