Sunday, April 29, 2012

More Hiking!

I actually took a long hike today! Longer than I have anyway. I am kicking my fitness into high gear for the next 3-4 weeks as we are going to Hawaii and I need to do something about these thighs. I'm going to be in a bathing suit most of the time and I haven't done enough about strengthening them. At one point, we weren't sure if we were going to have to post pone the trip -- if Dan had gotten the job, it would have been tight financially. Our plan was to take it in November. So for 3-4 weeks, I got a little lazy about the working out bit. BAD. I just need an end point....a goal to look toward....for motivation. And I was lacking the motivation (though, with being in a wedding in a few weeks, I should have gotten more motivated about my arms!).  NO LONGER am I without motivation.

PLUS! The weather here is on the upswing for spring and frankly, sitting around at home is boring and downright stupid. Why not take advantage of all there is around me these next few weeks?

Behold...A trip to Gunnison Gorge this morning. Ok, I didn't actually get to SEE the gorge (I'm not sure how to get there??), but I did find a trail in the conservation area this morning that didn't seem too bad an idea.
I didn't take this picture...But this a picture of the gorge -- and inside? The Gunnison River. Eventually I will take a trail down to this point!! I'm hoping to do it soon with Dan. I just don't want to take the long trails alone, you know?

Came across this guy only a few minutes in. Very telling...I would soon be spooked by them as they were everywhere scurrying about. I don't think I would have been so spooked if I hadn't been alone! 

 Going up! This area wasn't as tight as it looks. But this portion of the trail was hard on the ankles. No flat surfaces.


 Still going up. This picture was taken looking down at what I just walked through. I hate how I can't capture how steep this trail sometimes was.

Loved these rocks...While not the most exciting scenery on this hike, it was still nice! 

Headed down a steep path down (it didn't seem this steep going up...note that my shoes are now uber dusty. You should have seen my car when I got out of the conservation area's dirt roads). 

The last steep part of the trail I was headed down (see previous picture). I kind of stayed close to the left  so I could grab onto the rocks when I would stumble. 

Done. Only an hour and a half hike. I didn't make it all the way to the end before turning around. The last portion was VERTICAL and by that point, I was kind of pooped. I had had this big plan to jump on the next trail to go see the rim (and maybe a view of the river). Next week, I'm thinking, lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice...or I will delete it. No trolls! Thank you! :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS