Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars


I am finally back into the swing of baking again. I haven't baked a thing since Colorado. I didn't feel like baking while there (didn't have all of my fun tools, for one, like my processor, the chopper, the Kitchen Aid mixer). I haven't felt like baking since I got home. But I'm getting back into MAKING everything again myself, instead of buying processed. It feels good to get back to it!


One of my most favorite recipes to make on a regular basis? Granola bars. I love them. They are easy to grab when they are on the go, and the ones I make homemade are super filling compared to anything you can buy pre-made. I often substitute the fruit, nuts, and type of chocolate chips to put in it, but this is my favorite combo. I drive 2 HOURS just to shop at Trader Joe in Ann Arbor for the dried cherries. Yes, I do. Because this is the only place I have found dried cherries made WITHOUT sunflower oil. It seems extreme,  but of course I end up stocking up on A LOT more (two weeks ago, it was $150 worth, whoops). 




On the cooling rack about to get cut!! 




Homemade Granola Bars


INGREDIENTS:
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ (I used ground flaxseed instead as that is what I had)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried sour cherries, chopped
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup slivered almonds


DIRECTIONS:



1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla.
3. Mix well using your hands, add in cherries, chocolate chips and almonds. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden around the edges. Cool on wire rack for about 30 minutes before cutting. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting because they will crumble.
Makes 24 Servings (Though I managed to cut them into 32! Woot!)

FUN, LESS MESSY TRICK:  Instead of mixing together in a bowl with your hands....dump it all in a gallon size Ziplock bag. Then you can moosh and roll around without getting your hands gross. I've got sensory issues, so sue me. :)

2 comments:

  1. This looks AWESOME, Mel! I've been making homemade granola for years now, but I have never succeeded in transforming my recipe into bars. I cannot wait to try this because it looks and sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really yummy... I don't usually like granola bars, but these ones look like something I would eat.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice...or I will delete it. No trolls! Thank you! :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS