Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The worries of a mom...

I haven't done any blogging in forever. FOREVER. It's the usual thing. I  have so many posts running around my brain at all times, but by the time I sit down to write them, I'm off doing something else or just not remembering what I was going to write anymore.

- - -

At any rate, I have a topic on my mind. Let's talk about the frustration and concern I am having about Avery and her lack of wanting to be mobile.  I don't know why this frustrates me so incredibly much. She's 9 months old. There is no major concern about gross motor issues until she hits 12 months old and still isn't demonstrating an interest or skills to be independent.

She is doing great with fine motor. She's eating like a champ, self feeding like a champ, learning how to use a sippy cup and a big kid cup (with out help!), and she is vocal. Babbles like crazy. She's awesome. But she doesn't feel motivated to try to move. Tummy time has been a nightmare for us since she learned how to sit up. Now that she can sit up, that's what she wants to do and heaven help the soul that places her in any other position.

We haven't been tough enough on this in the past and we are attempting to be tougher. It usually takes crying for about 5 minutes and then she can move on her tummy to get to things. But she's not trying to get her legs under her. She's not trying to move forward. Just side to side.

She can roll. But hasn't really done so since 4 or 5 months. She isn't one of those kids rolling around to get places.  As stubborn as she is, I really expected her to be trying to do some of these things.

I don't think she's super behind developmentally as far as gross motor. She can sit up without assistance for a super long time. She can, with her hands held up in the air by me, pull herself up to standing.  Her doc says she's crazy strong and says that once she figures it all out, she'll be rocking and rolling without any problems.

I found the referral form online for Early On Intervention and it's bookmarked in my browser. I'm so ready to attempt to jump on the gun on it, but I know that deep down, it may not be needed. It's just hard. I am an OT and I should be able to help encourage her to move around more. But EVERY SINGLE activity I introduce? Just doesn't work.

I don't have work today (snow day!) and so I'm typing this as I observe her playing on the floor. Sitting up. I gathered a ton of toys around her. So she would have to move to get them. She at first just started to play with her feet. Content to not get anything around her. Eventually she S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D over to the side to get something, but everything else? Once she has determined that she can't stretch to get them? She gives up.

Sigh....Trying not to freak out over here. I need some reassurance. Her doc said at her 9 month checkup not to worry.  She's SO strong! And she is impressing her doc with her fine motor skills amongst other things.  I need to just CALM down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice...or I will delete it. No trolls! Thank you! :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS